Thursday, January 29, 2009

Final Fantasy IV revisited: I know, I'm late.

Yeah, so I've always been a true fan of the Final Fantasy series (in addition to other RPGs) and one of my favorites has always been Final Fantasy IV (II in the US upon original release on the SNES.) I guess it's my favorite because it was my first true taste if the series. I had played Final Fantasy Mystic Quest prior, which I grudgingly admit, opened my eyes to the existence of the series. But, it was not what made me fall in love. It was the twists and turns in the story that Cecil and his comrades experienced in Final Fantasy IV that made me fall in love.
First of all, let me say I love all the characters. (Yes, even that treacherous betrayer Kain. I mean, c'mon, his name is Kain. Did you expect anything else from him?) My favorite characters, as with most Final Fantasy, fall with the mages. The girl-crazy Palom... the over-sensible-for-her-young-age Porom, the 6-year-old turned big bosomed green-haired beauty Rydia, and the calm and caring Rosa. Yeah, Fusoya and Tellah fall into this category, but they were rather minor in my mind. (However, I do call people "spoony bards" on occasion.)
So, needless to say, when I heard that Square was re-releasing Final Fantasy IV for the DS, I was considerably skeptical. Considering the fact that I do not own a DS, it took me a while to even play it (I borrowed a friends' DS who never uses hers. Thanks, Rachel.) From the moment I started it, my skepticism gradually melted away.
This isn't just a simple port. This is a total remake. Voices, graphics, spells, the works. Everything is brought to the table to bring a classic of the 90's up to spec for today's standards. I only have one word to say. Awesome.
That doesn't mean it doesn't have its drawbacks.
I was taken aback at first by the "cartoon-y-ness" of the character designs. But, over time, they become endearing. (although, I really don't see how Rydia stays warm.)
Some of the heart-wrenching scenes brought to 3D and fully voiced really added a new level of depth for me. Of course, the scene that most affected me as a child playing this game for the first time was the "death" of Palom and Porom in Baron castle. You don't often see kids so selfless that they's sacrifice their lives to save a paladin, old sage, monk, and engineer.

And I'm not sure how much I like "Whyt," Rydia's new personal summon, whom you play math games and such with. It seemed like a cheap attempt to utilize the touch screen. That's another thing. The touch screen? Forget about it. This game WAS NOT designed for use with it. I mean, yeah, you can navigate your character across maps with it, but it's infinitely easier to just use the control pad. But for those die-hard Final Fantasy fans, you won't care one way or the other. You'll just be happy to see your favorite battles fought in full 3-D.
I'd have to give this game a 9.5 out of 10. They did a wonderful job with redesigning, if only they could have integrated the touch screen more, I would have no qualms with a 10. But it is the DS.

No comments:

Post a Comment